7 Ways to Be More Grounded
Get grounded! Have you heard that before?
Do you notice yourself often feeling disconnected or detached? When you feel stressed do you find yourself withdrawing or even spacing out? Have we found yourself in a conversation with someone, then realized you didn’t really hear what they said? These are all symptoms of the need to be more grounded.
Connecting to the earth is a common way to get grounded in your body. Your physical body is the densest part of your Being. Grounding into your body gives a strong foundation. It brings your personal energy firmly in your body affording a more stable and secure presence. From this foundation, you are more fully available to address the issues that appear as you journey through life. Getting grounded in your body is an important way to be present – to the current moment and to all the parts of your body, mind and spirit; allowing the greatest access to your holistic self. You will have a clearer mind, healthier emotional response and greater access to your intuition when fully grounded and present in our body.
Being grounded and present leads to mindfulness – the art of paying attention!
Give yourself the gift of being grounded by practicing some of the following techniques. By doing so you will notice an increased awareness of your inner and outer surroundings leading you to an expanded experience of life!
- Cultivate grounded presence in your body by first noticing the breath. Feel your breath moving in and out of your body. Continue this for a minute or two. Some may find a guided approach helpful: Breath Counting Meditation track on The Reiki Journey
- Take mindful breathing a step further by bringing your attention to body awareness. Scan your body by paying attention to each part for a few moments. Utilize observation to be present to your body’s current moment sensations. You may notice by simply being aware of your body, a shift toward relaxation may occur even though you do not apply forced intention.
- Go outside and take a walk – on the earth. Just as you allow the breath to flow at its natural pace, practice the same with conscious walking. There is no effort, simply be present as you walk. Just as the breath was your focus, now walking is your focus. Your intention is to focus solely on the act of walking. Notice your feet connecting with the earth with each step you take. Feel your feet making contact with the ground then releasing contact. Notice your foot rolling forward onto the ball and then lifting through the air.
- While you are outside, go hug a tree! Trees are such a great symbol of groundedness. The tree spreads its roots deep into the earth creating a strong foundation while it reaches its branches to the sky opening to sunlight. Imagine energetic roots emanating from your lower spine, down through your legs, out the bottoms of your feet and deep into the earth. Just like a tree with roots. Intend a flow of energy along this root system.
- Our body is made up of more than 60% water. Connect with water by drinking it with awareness. Drink a cup of tea with your full presence in the act of drinking. Consider the Japanese tradition of a tea ceremony. Connect with nature by viewing a lake or river. Sense the flow of the water. Take a conscious shower or relaxing bath.
- Eat healthy vibrant foods. Nuts, berries, dark green vegetables, beans and legumes, squash, and root vegetables are especially good for grounding.
- Add conscious awareness and presence to every part of your day!